This is me and my project
Malin Källman a Product design student at Edinburgh College of Art in my final year.
This blog will solely be about my project, Design by Darwinism. A methodology to develop a product in a new way almost completely taken out of the designers hands.
The process is inspired by Evolution and Darwins ideas, hence the name.
- My idea is turned into a series of options, versions of the same thing, breeds of a species you might call it.
- The options are then put in front of a group of people, (My natural selection) they pick their favourite based on different criteria.
- The favoured option I then develop into another series of options, more specialised.
- This series of options are then again given to the group to choose from and the cycle goes on until there is an end product.
- Though the process there are a number of mutations, they take the shape of different inputs from other people such as:
– Comments from this Blog
– Suggestions from a structural engineer
– Other designers
– Other design objects
There is more to this process but this is the essence of it.
I aim to take as much as possible of the design process out of my own hands in order to create an object that is created for the user not for the designer.
So please help me out, go on and design some…
Here is the evolution of Darwin the bookcase. You can see all the mutations and all the weak species that died out along the way.